CULINARY BITES highlights Orange County’s award winning restaurants, chefs, baristas, food artisans, brewers & distillers and the delightful culinary experience they bring to this place. Did you know that Bon Appetit magazine dubbed Chapel Hill “America’s Foodiest Small Town”? Check back often for recipes, samplers, chef bios, restaurant history, reviews and more.
Be on the look out for these restaurants soon to open...
- Dame's Chicken & Waffles plans to open in the former BSki's at 147 E. Franklin Street.
- The recently closed Sawasdee Thai Restaurant at 110 N. Columbia Street is being converted to Savor Eatery.
- Hawkers named for Asian street vendors who prepare and sell family recipes from mobile stands and stalls, is coming to University Place in early 2020. The restaurant will serve homemade favorites, from dumplings and wonton to curries, wings and pork belly
- Carrboro restaurants Napoli Pizza and Glasshalfull wine bar will partner on a new restaurant slated to open in the space that formerly housed Mystery Brewing Public House on 230 S. Nash Street in Hillsborough this fall. The new restaurant will carry the Napoli name, but will venture beyond the pizza and gelato it serves from its East Main Street restaurant and popular food truck in Carrboro. It also will feature small plates and entrees, some of which will be cooked in their wood oven.
- The Nomad, a cross-cultural cuisine styled restaurant, is currently holding pop-ups at various locations until their space at 122 King Street is ready for occupancy.
- Thai Station Restaurant is slated to open in January 2020 in the former CrossTies Bistro & Beer Garden at 201 E. Main Street
Located in Carrboro, NC a town with a population of about 21,000, is a locally owned small batch artisan roaster with reaches far beyond the horizons of Orange County, NC - actually their reach is global. Read more ....
Did you know there's more than one way to shuck an oyster? We caught up with Chef Kevin Callaghan for a little tour of his restaurant in Carrboro and got the scoop on shucking oysters and his favorite way to eat them.
Panciuto Italian - English - panciuto | Definiton: adj. potbellied, paunchy rounded, big-bellied. But around here, Panciuto is a cozy restaurant serving locally sourced, Italian-inspired food & drinks, with menu updated weekly. Read more...
Crook’s Corner, named an “American Classic” restaurant by the James Beard Foundation is renowned for many things but none quite so well-known as “Shrimp and Grits,” originally a Bill Neal recipe that is still on the menu today. Read more and get the recipe...
Interview with Chef Justin Burdette
Get to know Chef Justin, Crook's Corners' new Executive Chef