CULINARY BITES highlights Orange County’s award winning restaurants, chefs, baristas, food artisans, brewers & distillers and the delightful culinary experience they bring to this place. Did you know that Bon Appetit magazine dubbed Chapel Hill “America’s Foodiest Small Town”? Check back often for recipes, samplers, chef bios, restaurant history, reviews and more.
Be on the look out for these restaurants soon to open...
- Dame's Chicken & Waffles plans to open in the former BSki's at 147 E. Franklin Street.
- The recently closed Sawasdee Thai Restaurant at 110 N. Columbia Street is being converted to Savor Eatery.
- Market & Moss will open at 700 Market St in Southern Villages with plans to serve a vibrant, seasonal new American cuisine
New Restaurant Alert:
- Carrboro restaurants Napoli Pizzeria and Gelateria and Glasshalfull wine bar partnered on a new restaurant which opened in May 2020 in the space that formerly housed Mystery Brewing Public House on 230 S. Nash Street in Hillsborough this fall. The new restaurant carries the Napoli name, but will venture beyond the pizza and gelato it serves from its East Main Street restaurant and popular food truck in Carrboro.
- Que Chula Craft Tacos & Tequila Bar opened in the former Hops Burger at 140 W. Franklin Street. Chef Miguel Cuevas, a native of Acapulco, Mexico, is passionate for Mexican flavors and shows a true love for authentic made from scratch dishes.
- The Nomad, a cross-cultural cuisine styled restaurant, is now open at 122 King Street is ready for occupancy.
Located in Carrboro, NC a town with a population of about 21,000, is a locally owned small batch artisan roaster with reaches far beyond the horizons of Orange County, NC - actually their reach is global. Read more ....
Did you know there's more than one way to shuck an oyster? We caught up with Chef Kevin Callaghan for a little tour of his restaurant in Carrboro and got the scoop on shucking oysters and his favorite way to eat them.
Panciuto Italian - English - panciuto | Definiton: adj. potbellied, paunchy rounded, big-bellied. But around here, Panciuto is a cozy restaurant serving locally sourced, Italian-inspired food & drinks, with menu updated weekly. Read more...
Crook’s Corner, named an “American Classic” restaurant by the James Beard Foundation is renowned for many things but none quite so well-known as “Shrimp and Grits,” originally a Bill Neal recipe that is still on the menu today. Read more and get the recipe...
Interview with Chef Justin Burdette
Get to know Chef Justin, Crook's Corners' new Executive Chef