CULINARY BITES highlights Orange County’s award winning restaurants, chefs, baristas, food artisans, brewers & distillers and the delightful culinary experience they bring to this place. Did you know that Bon Appetit magazine dubbed Chapel Hill “America’s Foodiest Small Town”? Check back often for recipes, samplers, chef bios, restaurant history, reviews and more.
C&B Community Store is a community-focused venture that will offer a community store filled with select staples and farm-fresh produce, gas pumps, and a community kitchen serving breakfast and lunch five days a week AND wood-fired pizzas on the weekends! Located on scenic North Carolina Hwy 86 at 5515 NC 86 in Hillsborough
Bottle Rev Chapel Hill will move across the way and into the space vacated by Tobacco Road Sports Cafe at East 54 in 2021. The shop and taproom will rebrand to become Old East Tavern and will be bringing on Josh Coburn, formerly with City Kitchen, to be its executive chef.
Colorado Burrito Mexican Grill will occupy the space formally by Bandido Mexican Cafe & Cantina in Hillsborough at the corner of Churton and Margaret Lane. They are hoping for an early December opening,
New Restaurant Alert:
- Blue's on Franklin located at 110 W. Franklin Street in Chapel Hill is owned by three generations of Tar Heels! Some of the menu items include smoked shrimp, wings, burgers, smoked tips, and Eastern North Carolina Style BBQ. Game days here are a must!
- Iza Whiskey& Eats The chef and co-owner at Fusion Fish in Chapel Hill’s Meadowmont, recently had an official soft opening of his new spot in Carrboro called Iza Whiskey & Eats. They will be serving up Japanese style izakaya serving small plates, sushi and ramen along with cocktails including whiskey and sake. It will be located at 307 E. Main Street next to Hickory Tavern and the Hampton Carrboro.
- Market & Moss is now open at 700 Market St in Southern Villages serving up a vibrant, seasonal new American cuisine
- Summit Coffee a North Carolina based coffee roaster with cafe's located in Asheville, Davidson and now Chapel Hill
- Kipo's has found a new home in the EastGate Crossing Shopping Center at 1800 E. Franklin Street, Chapel Hill
- Dingo Dog Ciderhouse and Taproom is open and located at the Shelton Station development on North Greensboro Street in Carrboro
Located in Carrboro, NC a town with a population of about 21,000, is a locally owned small batch artisan roaster with reaches far beyond the horizons of Orange County, NC - actually their reach is global. Read more ....
Did you know there's more than one way to shuck an oyster? We caught up with Chef Kevin Callaghan for a little tour of his restaurant in Carrboro and got the scoop on shucking oysters and his favorite way to eat them.
Panciuto Italian - English - panciuto | Definiton: adj. potbellied, paunchy rounded, big-bellied. But around here, Panciuto is a cozy restaurant serving locally sourced, Italian-inspired food & drinks, with menu updated weekly. Read more...
Crook’s Corner, named an “American Classic” restaurant by the James Beard Foundation is renowned for many things but none quite so well-known as “Shrimp and Grits,” originally a Bill Neal recipe that is still on the menu today. Read more and get the recipe...
Interview with Chef Justin Burdette
Get to know Chef Justin, Crook's Corners' new Executive Chef