CULINARY BITES highlights Orange County’s award winning restaurants, chefs, baristas, food artisans, brewers & distillers and the delightful culinary experience they bring to this place. Did you know that Bon Appetit magazine dubbed Chapel Hill “America’s Foodiest Small Town”? Check back often for recipes, samplers, chef bios, restaurant history, reviews and more.
C&B Community Store is a community-focused venture that will offer a community store filled with select staples and farm-fresh produce, gas pumps, and a community kitchen serving breakfast and lunch five days a week AND wood-fired pizzas on the weekends! Located on scenic North Carolina Hwy 86 at 5515 NC 86 in Hillsborough
Colorado Burrito Mexican Grill will occupy the space formally by Bandido Mexican Cafe & Cantina in Hillsborough at the corner of Churton and Margaret Lane. Stay tuned for opening date.
New restaurant alert:
- Seafood Destiny, a Greensboro NC based catering and food truck, expanded to the intersection of W. Franklin and N. Columbia Streets, Chapel Hill and opened December 28, 2021. Branding their menu as Soulfood Seafood, expect dishes like made-to-order crab legs, boils, lobster and shrimp plates
- MOMO's Master a Himalayan Bistro features momo style dumplings by Chef Ramesh Dahal. Dahal has 25+ years experience in the restaurant industry. Momo's is located at110 North Columbia Street, Chapel Hill.
- Blue's on Franklin located at 110 W. Franklin Street in Chapel Hill is owned by three generations of Tar Heels! Some of the menu items include smoked shrimp, wings, burgers, smoked tips, and Eastern North Carolina Style BBQ. Game days here are a must!
- Iza Whiskey& Eats The chef and co-owner at Fusion Fish in Chapel Hill’s Meadowmont, recently had an official soft opening of his new spot in Carrboro called Iza Whiskey & Eats. They will be serving up Japanese style izakaya serving small plates, sushi and ramen along with cocktails including whiskey and sake. It will be located at 307 E. Main Street next to Hickory Tavern and the Hampton Carrboro.
- Market & Moss is now open at 700 Market St in Southern Villages serving up a vibrant, seasonal new American cuisine
- Kipo's has found a new home in the EastGate Crossing Shopping Center at 1800 E. Franklin Street, Chapel Hill
- Dingo Dog Ciderhouse and Taproom is open and located at the Shelton Station development on North Greensboro Street in Carrboro
- Old East Tavern features local Josh Coburn, formerly with City Kitchen, as executive chef. Chef Coburn's motto is "Elevating simplicity and highlighting local ingredients."
- Osteria Georgi - A modern Italian eatery & garden, from the Giorgios Hospitality & Lifestyle Group which includes, Kipos, Bin 54, and the former City Kitchen.
- Frankln Motors Bar Lot - Beer garden, rooftop amenities. Coming late summer to 601 W. Franklin Street in Chapel Hill
Located in Carrboro, NC a town with a population of about 21,000, is a locally owned small batch artisan roaster with reaches far beyond the horizons of Orange County, NC - actually their reach is global. Read more ....
Did you know there's more than one way to shuck an oyster? We caught up with Chef Kevin Callaghan for a little tour of his restaurant in Carrboro and got the scoop on shucking oysters and his favorite way to eat them.
Panciuto Italian - English - panciuto | Definiton: adj. potbellied, paunchy rounded, big-bellied. But around here, Panciuto is a cozy restaurant serving locally sourced, Italian-inspired food & drinks, with menu updated weekly. Read more...
Shrimp and Grits (Crook's Corner)
Crook’s Corner, named an “American Classic” restaurant by the James Beard Foundation is renowned for many things but none quite so well-known as “Shrimp and Grits,” originally a Bill Neal recipe that has remained on the menu up until the restaurant closed in June of 2021. Read more and get the recipe...