What’s in Orange County, NC?
Orange County, NC is located on the edge of Research Triangle Park. With more than 139,000 residents, Orange County includes historic Hillsborough, the county seat; Chapel Hill, home of the University of North Carolina; Carrboro, a former railroad and mill town.
What is the Triangle or Research Triangle?
It is a term first coined to refer to the proximity of three major research universities and to The Research Triangle Park (RTP) founded in their midst; University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, North Carolina State University in Raleigh and Duke University in Durham. RTP is the largest research park in the country. The Triangle always includes Chapel Hill, Durham and Raleigh at its core.
How far is Chapel Hill/Carrboro from the airport?
Raleigh/Durham International Airport (RDU) is about 17 miles from the airport with easy access of I-40 interstate. RDU was ranked 9th Best Airport in the country by Conde Nast (2015)
What airlines fly into RDU?
RDU International Airport offers service by nine major carriers. There are non-stop international flights from Cancun, London and Toronto and service more than 40 destinations among the 350 daily flights.
What hotels offer airport shuttles?
At this time, no hotel offers a shuttle to RDU. Most however, offer local shuttles within Chapel Hill.
How do I get from the airport to Chapel Hill?
RDU Taxi, Inc. is the sole, licensed taxi service provider for Raleigh-Durham International Airport. One way taxi is about $39. Obtaining a rental car is easy at RDU Airport. There are eight rental car companies operating and offer courtesy shuttles to their offices, which are located on airport property. Several airport shuttle companies service the Chapel Hill area. See our transportation page for listings.
What are the largest meeting facilities in the area?
- The Sheraton Chapel Hill offers 168 rooms and 16,000 sq. ft. of flexible meeting space. Their largest space is 6,927 sq. ft.
- The Carolina Inn offers 185 rooms and 14,365 sq. ft. of space with the largest space being 4,962 sq. feet.
- The Friday Center is operated by the University of North Carolina and is the largest conference space in Chapel Hill. They offer 25,000 sq. ft. of space and 26 meeting spaces with built-in technology systems. The building also houses a 400-seat auditorium and on-site catering and dining.
What are the luxury hotels in the area?
- The Carolina Inn, part of the Destination Hotels collection and is a 4-diamond historic hotel that sits on the campus of the University of North Carolina.
- The Siena Hotel is part of the Autograph by Marriott collection. This is a 4-diamond Italian boutique property and winner of Autograph Hotel of the Year in 2015.
- The Franklin Hotel is part of the Hilton by Curio collection. This upscale boutique hotel won a Connie Award from Hilton as best hotel in the Curio Collection in 2016.
Which hotels are located in downtown walk-able districts?
The Carolina Inn and the Franklin Hotel are located in downtown Chapel Hill. The Hampton Inn and Suites in located in downtown Carrboro.
What is the weather like?
On average, there are 216 sunny days per year in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. The July high is around 89 degrees. Summers tend to be more humid. The January low is 28. Snowfall is 5 inches. The number of days with any measurable precipitation is 118. The climate makes it an ideal destination.