How do we obtain a marriage license?

Go to the Register of Deeds Office in downtown Hillsborough between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday (except holidays). 228 S. Churton Street, Suite 300

A Worksheet For Preparation of a Marriage License must be completed. You may print this worksheet, complete it, and bring it with you when you appear at the office, or fill out the form at the office. You can also complete a marriage license application online

Bring valid ID (any of the following: Driver’s License, State issued ID card or Passport.

Bring a Social Security card, W-2 form, or payroll check stub with your complete Social Security Number on the check stub. NOTE: The name on the proof of social security must match the name on the ID exactly. If the individual has not been assigned a social security number, an Affidavit must be completed.

The fee is $60.00, payable by Cash, Debit/Credit Card, Money Order or Certified Bank Check.

Both applicants should be present at the time of making application for a marriage license, except as noted in special cases below

Marriage Licenses are valid for 60 days from the date of issuance and are only valid for use in the state of North Carolina. After the wedding, your officiant completes the marriage certificate, which must be returned to the Register of Deeds office.

Special Cases

Both applicants should be present at the time of making an application for a marriage license; However, if one party is unable to appear due to hardship then he or she may submit an Affidavit in Lieu of Personal Appearance and Marriage License Questionnaire. (UNABLE means other party is incarcerated, hospitalized, or on active duty in service.) Call and ask for Details of Proof. Unfortunately not being able to get off of work is an unacceptable reason.

Divorced applicants must provide the month and year of divorce and if divorce has been within thirty days prior to the marriage application, a copy of the divorce decree must be provided.

If the applicants are under the age of eighteen, contact the office of the Register of Deeds, Vital Records Section (919-245-2700 or 919-245-2701) for requirements.

Who do I contact for a civil ceremony?

Contact the Orange County magistrate in Hillsborough - 919-245-2935  during office hours 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. The fee is $20.00.

Are pre-martial physical exams or blood tests required?


Can you help us find a venue for the bridal shower or rehearsal dinner?

Yes, we can! We can help you secure a location dependent on group size, type of venue you are interested in and by the type of cuisine. There are several restaurants in town that offer private or semi-private space for your event.

Do you have a list of venues that allow outside catering?

Yes, we do! Please contact our wedding specialist for more information.

When is the UNC home football schedule released so my wedding date doesn’t conflict?

The football schedules are not released until Mid-February for the upcoming fall games.

Can you let me know if any special events will be happening on the weekend we get married?

Sure! Contact our wedding coordinator, Marlene Barbera. mbarbera@visitchapelhill.org 919-245-4323

Wedding ad

Can the visitor’s bureau provide me with Visitor’s Guides and Maps for my guests?

Yes, we can!! Just come by the bureau to pick them up anytime Monday-Friday 8:30am to 5pm.