Yum! Frozen Yogurt topped with Gummy Worms - yes please!
There’s nothing that says summer more than scoops of your favorite ice cream flavors piled high in a waffle cone and topped with confetti sprinkles. Or maybe you prefer your ice cream on a stick, in a bowl, in a cup, or split; the possibilities are endless. There’s also gelato, sorbetto, frozen yogurt, soft serve. and shaved ice. And so many flavors and toppings! Plus, an added benefit, did you know that eating ice cream makes you happy? It’s a scientific fact.
Whichever way is your favorite and for whatever reason you eat it, you are sure to find a place that has your favorite in our list below. Indulge and enjoy!
1) What tastes really, really good after an authentic wood-fired Neapolitan pizza? Artisanal gelato from Napoli Pizzeria & Gelateria. Just thinking about these refreshing flavors: Lemon Sorbetto, Mango Passion Fruit Sorbet and Raspberry Sorbetto has us dreaming of a summer vacation at the beach.
2) Yogurt Pump, affectionately called YoPo, is the place to chill on the hill. Since 1982 (it was North Carolina’s first frozen yogurt shop) the family owned yogurt shop has been serving Chapel Hillians and students from their ‘80s décor style shop located in an alcove just off of W. Franklin Street. What’s currently swirling? Cristi Slape Raspberry Pomegranate Sorbet and the menu changes up a bit weekly.
3) Insomnia Cookies is a favorite among UNC-Chapel Hill students for late night pick me ups! We recommend the Insomniac Celebration Pack. It comes with a 6" cookie cake, a pint of ice cream and a Super 6 pack in your flavor choices.
4) La Vita Dolce Café serves up gelato and sorbetto that is made on-site using fresh fruit and spices, fine chocolate, and ingredients imported from Italy. Enjoy a scoop on their spacious outdoor patio.
5) How does fried ice cream sound? A scoop of vanilla ice cream rolled in special coating and deep fried, topped with honey, whipped cream and chopped nuts. Delish! You'll find it at Bandidos Mexican Cafe. They also have Oreo Fried Ice Cream and a Fire and Ice Sundae topped with a sweet and spicey raspberry-habanero sauce.
6) Every town should have a Ben & Jerry’s. They are tried and true. You know you’ll always be satisfied. And they have an annual FREE cone day! Opt-in for a chocolate dipped waffle cone with rainbow sprinkles filled with Chunky Monkey, a nutty chocolatey chunky concoction gone bananas.
7) Another tried and true maker of the cold stuff, Cold Stone Creamery, has smooth and creamy super-premium customizable ice cream creations for the ultimate ice cream experience. You have to try the tiny, tasty, terrific ice cream cupcakes which come in a take home DIY 6-pack ready to decorate and enjoy.
8) Not your ordinary ice cream shop. Meet Fresh piles the shaved ice high and tops it off with flavors like Pudding & Q Mochi Milk, Black Sugar Boba Mochi, and Mangoberry Milk. Add toppings like mini taro balls, sweet potato, melon jelly and peanuts. These Tawainese delectable delights are a must try!
9) Probably the most popular of all ice cream venues in Orange County, NC is Maple View Farm Country Store. It’s true cow to cone. Maple View uses fresh local cream to make their award winning homemade ice cream, shakes, sundaes, creamery creations, banana splits, and more. They also carry local goods from Simply Natural Dairy, Cheese from Chapel Hill Creamery, Latta Farms eggs, Carolina Nutcracker pecans and more! Here's a visual to get your mouth watering with an added bonus of Union Grove Farm adjacent to the ice cream store.
12) Look for a different flavor of the week at Whit’s Frozen Custard of Hillsborough. Their custard is made daily and they have over 25 toppings to chose from.
Fun Facts about Ice Cream
One scoop of ice cream needs about 50 licks to finish.
The average American eats 48 pints of ice cream each year.
The USA is the world's leading producer of ice cream.
Yes ... vanilla is the most popular ice cream flavor (followed by chocolate and strawberry). We don’t really understand this one when you can have strange ice cream flavors like jalapeno, dill pickle, garlic, bacon, bleu cheese and shallots, squid ink and curry carrot.
What's your favorite flavor?
(Photo credit: header, The Yogurt Pump)