Open daily dawn to dusk.
In 1897, UNC President Edwin A. Alderman initiated the redesign of the original ramshackle shelter, which had been the primary source of campus water for more than a century. When it was finished, the new Greek Revival structure was so beautiful that it quickly became the unofficial symbol of the University. In 1954, it was given added beauty with brick walls, plantings and benches. Students traditionally earn good luck when they drink from The Old Well on the first day of classes.