Burwell School Historic Site
The Burwell School Historic Site is a two-acre property, which contains the Burwell residence (ca. 1821, 1848), the original brick classroom building of Robert and Margaret Anna Burwell’s Academy for Young Ladies (ca.1837), and a rare brick Necessary House (ca. 1837). It thrives as a place of learning, offering guided tours and children’s educational programs. It also serves as a community gathering place, hosting lectures, exhibits, concerts, special events, and readings for the Hillsborough Literary Association. The Burwell School Historic Site is open to the public and offers free docent-led tours Wed-Fri at 1:00pm and self-guided tours during its normal hours of operation. Standard hours Wed - Sat 11:00 am to 4:00 pm; Sun 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm; closed tp public Mon-Tues.