Historical Marker Unveiling
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
The surviving members of the B-1 United States Navy Band will once again return “home” to Chapel Hill, NC on Saturday, May 27th, 75 years to the day that they left to go to Norfolk, VA for training at the US States Navy School of Music. The history of the band in Chapel Hill goes back to July 31, 1942, when they were received with enthusiasm by the Navy Pre-Flight School personnel who had eagerly anticipated the arrival of the Navy music makers. The group was housed in a new building which originally had been planned as a Community Center for African-American residents of Chapel Hill. An attractively designed structure of natural-color rock, this building - through a negotiated agreement with town officials and community leaders – became home and headquarters for the Pre-Flight School Band. The building was later named The Hargraves Recreation Center located on Roberson Street. The Visitor Bureau, 501 West Franklin Street will be open at 8:30am for music, coffee and refreshments before the unveiling at 10am.