We've compiled 12 Halloween Happenings around Orange County, NC that is sure to please the tiniest princess to the scariest ghoul to the lovers of horror film classics. Playful spirits will materialize in historic cemeteries, scary monsters will hide in corn fields, and jack o lanterns will light up the night. So dress up in your best costumes, grab your kids, your friends or anyone that loves the theme of Halloween and enjoy!
1. Friday the 13th Spooktacular Oct 13 from 12 - 9pm Celebrate Halloween with Maple View Farms. Indulge in their Halloween themed sundaes and shakes or try one of their 13 new specials. Costumes welcomed. 6900 Rocky Ridge Road, Hillsborough 919-960-5535
2. Music and Stories Under the Stars on the lawn of Weaver Street Market in Carrboro Oct 20 from 5 pm - 7:30 pm. This annual free event features stories, spooky music, Halloween treats, and a costume contest and is co-sponsored by the town of Carrboro. The Flowjo Fire Dancers & Boogie Holler Drum Troope will perform from 7- 7:30pm. Bring the whole family.
3. Spooky Movie Night Oct 21, 6:30 pm. Bring your blanket to Century Hall for a fun "spooky" movie night! The Lego Batman Movie. Children under 12 will not be admitted without a parent or guardian present. Limited concessions will be for sale (cash only). Contact the Recreation & Parks Department at (919) 918-7392 for movie information.
4. The 2017 McKee's Cornfield Maze the Haunted Trail and Cornfield Maze will be on Oct 21, 27, and 28. Hours for Haunted Maze are from dusk to 10pm and admission is $12. Children ages 0-2 Free. McKee Cornfield Maze is located at 5011 Kiger Road in Rougemont. 919-732-8065
5. Thrills n' Chills Halloween Tour Oct 26 at 8pm - A hauntingly fun, nighttime walking tour of UNC Campus by moonlight as a prelude to Halloween that includes tales of Chapel Hill traditions, mysteries, and even a ghost story (or two). Costumes encouraged. 919-962-1630
6. Crafter Dark - Twisted Tales This Halloween, indulge in the dark side of your favorite fairy tales. For the Adult kids at Kidzu! Oct 27 at 8:00pm - 11pm. Follow the breadcrumbs, don’t stray or stop; if you beat our ESCAPE ROOM, you’ll keep your head on top. Wander into THE MAKERY where you can tinker and toil; don’t bother the Beast or your blood may boil. Local BEER and dark SPIRITS haunt the hall; grab Rapunzel’s hair as you attempt the PHANTOM CLIMBING WALL. Try your luck at our poison CANDY APPLE BAR; for FOOD TRUCK treats, you won’t have to look far. No ball is complete without a COSTUME CONTEST; classic or twisted, you must wear your best. Evade capture until the PHOTO BOOTH; toss your glass slippers to hear this final truth: not all fairy tales have a happy ending. Kidzu Children’s Museum, 201 South Estes Drive (University Place). Call for details (919) 933-1445, $18/adult
7. Halloween Spooktacular October 27 5:30-8pm- Orange County's annual Halloween party sponsored by the Department of Parks & Recreation. The entire Central Recreation Center will be transformed into a Halloween paradise. Your little ghoul or goblin can play many wonderful games and win prizes. Other activities include bounce houses, bingo, cake walks, face painting, pumpkin patch treasure hunt, arts & crafts, and concessions. $5 for activity wristband. Costume Contest is Free. 919-245-2660
8. The Carrboro Halloween Carnival on Oct. 27 at the Town Commons is 6 pm - 8:30 pm.Come enjoy the night and experience the great carnival games and programs for all ages. They boost a host of carnival style activities that reward your participation with wickedly good prizes. Popcorn, sodas, hot chocolate, apple cider and coffee will be sold at the concession booth. No registration required. Event is Free. The event is hosted by Carrboro Recreation & Parks (919) 918-7364
9. The annual Hillsborough Spirits Tour will be held on Friday Oct 27 and Saturday Oct 28. Friday tours every 20 min 8pm, 8:20, 8:40, and 9pm. Saturday tours every 20 min: 5:20 - 9pm This fun and dramatic walking tour will bring you face-to-face with Hillsborough's past with help from the Orange Community Players. Groups will depart from the Hillsborough Visitors Center located at150 E. King St.Tours last approximately one hour. Tickets: Free for children under 12; $12 for adults. Please contact the Hillsborough Visitors Center for details at (919) 732-7741.
10. Come learn about stars, constellations and celestial events through legends from ancient cultures, featuring monsters, mayhem and madness at the Morehead Planetarium and Science Center's annual Scare-olina Skies. Explore the dark legends behind the constellations in this Halloween version of the "Carolina Skies". The adult and older teens version is Friday Oct 27 at 8 pm. A milder family version of the show perfect choice for families with elementary school-age children is Sunday Oct 29 at 3:30 pm. Regular ticket prices apply for both versions. (919) 962-1236 250 East Franklin Street, UNC Campus.
11. Haunted Hill at the Chapel Hill Community Center on Saturday, October 28th beginning at 5:00pm. The event features a Trunk-or-Treat, games, ghost stories, movie in the park featuring The Nightmare Before Christmas (PG) and a haunted walk. The Trunk- or -Treat portion ends at 6:30pm and the movie begins at 6:45pm. There will also be a Glow in the Dark climb from 7-9pm. This event is open to all ages and is free. 120 S Estes Dr. Chapel Hill. 919-968-2790.
12. Myers House NC 9th Annual Halloween Bash Oct 28 6:30- Midnight The Myers House NC is a life-size replica of the infamous Michael Myers house from John Carpenter’s ‘HALLOWEEN.’ The house is located in Hillsborough, NC and is the personal residence of Kenny Caperton. The Myers House NC's 9th Annual Halloween Bash, there will be outdoor big-screen movie showings of HALLOWEEN 4, SILENT NIGHT DEADLY NIGHT and a very special screening of MY BLOODY VALENTINE (1981) with a special guest appearance by actor Peter Cowper aka Harry Warden from the film!!! He will be flying in all the way from Colorado to greet fans! There will also be bonfires, costumes, food trucks, jack-o-lanterns, tricks, treats, raffles & MORE! It's going to be an awesome night - I hope to see a bunch of you here!! Be sure to read ALL EVENT DETAILS HERE The address will be posted one week before the event. There will be food and drinks available for purchase – this year we are excited to welcome back Bull City Street Food food truck! No children under 12 please.
Notice: Click here for the latest information on Homegrown Halloween on Oct 31 on Franklin Street in downtown Chapel Hill.
(Header photo courtesy of Alliance for Historic Hillsborough)